Important information about United Airlines Name Correction or Change policy
Did you misspell the name when making the reservation? If a passenger has booked a flight with United Airlines and has misspelled the name, it can easily be corrected. To make name changes, the passenger must follow the airline’s name change policy.
Simple name changes or corrections
The following are considered simple name changes and are permitted without supporting documentation.
- Correct the spelling of a first name (e.g., Sarah to Sara)
- Correct the spelling of a last name (e.g., Philips to Phillips)
- Change a name to or from a nickname (e.g., Bob to Robert, Elizabeth to Liz)
- Change or correct a prefix or title (e.g., Miss to Ms., Mstr. to Mr., Ms. to Dr.)
- Add or delete a middle name or initial (e.g., John Richard Ennis to John R. Ennis)
- Correct inverted first and last names (e.g., McCormack Charles to Charles McCormack)
Significant name changes
To ensure the security of your MileagePlus account, all other name changes must be in writing and include a copy of one of the following supporting legal documents:
- Marriage license
- Divorce decree
- Legal name change document
- Government-issued identification reflecting both your former and current names
Alternate Name Affidavit Option: If you are unable to provide one of the documentation options above, you may submit a Name Affidavit outlining your name change, along with a copy of your government-issued identification. To request a name change using a Name Affidavit, print the Affidavit and mail the notarized document to the address below
MileagePlus Service Center
P.O. Box 1394
Houston, TX 77251-1394 also check Name Affidavit PDF (88KB)
United Airlines name change policy
When a passenger has misspelled the name and wants to make changes to the itinerary, he can do so in accordance with the name change policy. Simply United Airlines name change policy is mentioned below and does not require supporting documentation:
- Correct the spelling of the passenger’s name.
- Correct the spelling of the last passenger number.
- Change a name to a nickname or vice versa.
- Make changes or correct the prefix or title.
- Add or remove a middle name or initial.
- Make corrections to the passenger’s first and last name backward.
Simple name changes/fixes
As long as a passenger has misspelled his name on the United Airlines ticket, it can be corrected according to the name correction/change policy. Here are some simple assumptions under the same policy that do not require any legal documentation:
- Correct the spelling of the name
- Correcting the spelling of the surname
- Change a nickname name or vice versa
- Change or correct a prefix (title)
- Delete or add an initial or middle name
- Correct inverted names and surnames
Critical name changes/fixes
Apart from these, there are also some major name changes/fixes that need legal documentation to proceed. Let’s take a look at the following supporting legal documents:
- Divorce agreement
- Marriage certificate
- Another government-issued document with your old name and the new one
Alternative name affidavit option
United Airlines also offers the alternative name affidavit option for its visitors. In case you are unable to submit the legal documentation mentioned above, you can submit a name affidavit option.
Additionally, the name affidavit states your name change along with a copy of your government-issued identification. So you have another legitimate way to make corrections to your name on the ticket with United Airlines. Customers are always on the softest surface when a business vigorously attacks for their well-being and comfort.
Significant name changes:
Some of the name changes require legal or supporting documents, as mentioned below:
- Divorce decree
- Marriage license
- Legal name change document
- Government-issued ID reflecting current and former names.
How to request a United Airlines name change?
- To request a United Airline name change, please follow the steps below:
- Make the necessary changes to the name of the Mileage Plus account through the passenger profile.
- For a meaningful name change, find and upload the supporting documents.
For more details on the United Airlines name change and the fare involved in making changes, a passenger can contact the reservation center. Representatives will assist passengers with all the necessary details for a name change. The support team is available 24 hours a day and can be contacted according to a suitable time interval. Contact details are provided on the official United Airlines website.
United Airlines Name Change due to illness is not possible
Changing the name on United airline ticket isn’t simple, in any case, now and again, it very well may be done. For the most part, if a ticket should be adjusted because of a grammatical mistake or in light of the fact that your legitimate name has really changed (in the wake of getting hitched, for instance), then you ought to have the option to complete it a little paperwork.
Otherwise, airlines will in general be steady with regards to name changes (both for paid and award tickets), yet you may get a go in uncontrollable issues at hand like a health-related crisis or a passing in the family. Additionally remember that the Department of Transportation instituted a standard in 2012 enabling travelers to cancel non-refundable appointments within 24 hours of procurement, without punishment, insofar as the booking is made at any rate seven days in advance of the flight. A few airlines submit to this standard for award tickets too, yet beyond 24 hours you’ll likely need to cancel. (Note that rather than offer a discount within 24 hours, American Airlines enables you to hold a ticket for one day.)
Change or Correction Online
- Visit the official website of United Airlines.
- Go on the ‘my trips’ option.
- Add the confirmation number/ booking ID and your last name.
- Then click on ‘search’.
- The details of the booking will be shown.
- By clicking on edit you will be able to make the changes in your reservation.
- The changes you can make are date, time, name, class, etc.
- Add the changes you wish to make and check the spellings of the name properly.
- Confirm the changes and a mail with the updated booking will be sent to your registered mail ID.
- Show the confirmation mail at the airport to get entry.